The following are tips to help keep everyone safe during their Halloween celebration times:
1) Parents, talk about Halloween safety with your children.
2) Gather flashlights with fresh batteries for every child and adult.
3) Prepare your property for visitors in the yard. Look for items that might trip or otherwise harm visitors.
4) Make certain that family pets are well secured. Pets can be frightened by all of the activity around their home.
5) Children’s costumes should be bright and reflective and short enough so chances of tripping or contact with flame are reduced.
6) Treat bags and costumes can be trimmed with reflective tape to increase visibility.
7) Write down your child’s name, address, and phone number somewhere in their costume and show it to them in case of accidental separation.
8) Be certain that props simulating weapons are soft, flexible, and do not look real.
9) Remind children they should walk, stay on the sidewalk when possible, and obey all traffic signals.
10) Stick to familiar neighborhoods.
11) Never enter the home of a stranger.
12) Do not allow children to eat any treats until checked by an adult.
13) Motorists should drive slowly and watch carefully for children.
Make sure to report any suspicious activity to the Ridgecrest Police Dept. at 760-499-5100 or 911 in an emergency.
RONALD N. STRAND, Chief of Police
PREPARED BY: Det. T. Dilley