If you’re enjoying the holidays with a drink, The Ridgecrest Police Department has a message for you: Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over. Due to the increase in drunk-driving-related fatalities around the holidays each year, law enforcement agencies across America will be actively searching for and arresting drunk drivers from December 18th 2015 to January 3, 2016
As part of the national Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over enforcement campaign period; police, sheriff and the CHP will be deploying DUI Checkpoints and DUI Saturation Patrols during the upcoming 17 day DUI Enforcement Campaign throughout the region. The Ridgecrest Police Department will be conducting a DUI Saturation Patrol on December 31, 2015.
Ridgecrest PD reminders everyone to follow these simple tips to stay safe:
• Plan a safe way to get home before you attend the party. Alcohol impairs judgment, as well as reaction time. If you’re impaired you’re more likely to choose to drive drunk.
• Designate a sober driver; take public transportation, a car service, or a call a sober friend of family member to get home.
• Walking while impaired can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. Designate a sober friend to walk you home.
• Use your community’s sober ride program.
• If you see someone you think is about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them get home safely.
If you’re caught drinking and driving you could face jail time, fines, loss of driver’s license, towing fees, and other DUI expenses, totaling $10,000 on average. That’s not a small price, and that doesn’t even count the heftier price you could pay: the price of your life or someone else’s.
In addition to reminding all drivers to drive sober, Chief Strand is calling on everyone to be alert and ‘Report Drunk Drivers – Call 911! If you see a dangerous driver call immediately! If someone you know is about to drive after drinking, take their keys and help them get home safely. “We’ve got to work together to make our roads safer this December and year-round,” he said.
Remember, driving after drinking should never be an option. Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over.