Orlando Police Officers Injured in Shooting Linked to Homicide: Updates!

Two police officers in Orlando, Florida, were injured in a shooting on Friday night when they stopped a vehicle believed to be linked to a homicide, as reported by the police.

Following the incident, a shootout occurred between the suspected gunman and SWAT officers at a hotel on Saturday morning, resulting in the death of the suspect, according to Orlando Police Chief Eric Smith during a press briefing.

The sequence of events began around 11 p.m. local time when the officers conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle wanted in connection with a homicide in Miami, according to Chief Smith. While outside the vehicle during the stop, the suspect fired at and hit both officers, then fled in another vehicle, according to authorities.

After an extensive search, the suspect was located at a Holiday Inn around 6 a.m. on Saturday, with the hotel being safely evacuated before the suspect barricaded himself in a room, Chief Smith informed.

“Numerous attempts were made to convince the suspect to surrender peacefully,” Chief Smith stated.

Shortly before 9 a.m., the suspect opened fire multiple times at the SWAT officers, who then returned fire, ultimately hitting and killing the suspect, as per Chief Smith’s account.

The police identified the suspect as 28-year-old Daton Viel.

The injured officers from the initial traffic stop were taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center in critical condition. On Saturday, Orlando Health officials reassured the public that the officers are expected to make a full recovery from their injuries.

“Our officers are fortunate to be alive, and we kindly request your continued prayers for them,” Chief Smith appealed.

He described the incident as a tragedy for the police department.

Chief Smith expressed his frustration, saying, “It’s absurd for someone to do this to them just to avoid going back to prison. We will not tolerate such actions. Our commitment is to combat crime and ensure the safety of our communities.”

Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer also issued a statement on social media, expressing gratitude to law enforcement officers “who have ensured that the suspect is no longer a threat to our community.”

Leave a Comment